– Next up: just how funny can a mug be? Channel 5’s Dean Herbert has the story. Dean?
– Thanks, Rachel. I’m here at Reno-Sparks Convention Center and, boy! Have I seen a lot of very, funny, mugs today.
– Here’s one that reads “World’s Best Procrastinator”.
– …and another that says, “This side up”– with an arrow pointing down!
– That’s right: this is the National Funny Mug Collectors’ Association Annual Meetup.
– “People come here, you know, to see each other’s mug collections and share, there’s a swap meet and it’s very social. It’s a lot of fun, I come every year”
– And don’t forget the main event: the highly anticipated World’s Funniest Mug competition.
– This year, the top prize went to this mug, owned by Helen Kruse of Corpus Christi, Texas.
– “Do you remember ‘The Far Side’? The caption says ‘Einstein discovers that time is actually money’”
– “I think a lot of people connect with that– we’re all so busy these days”
– It’s the ninth year in a row this mug has won top honors.
– “I told Helen she’s been ‘mugging’ for the judges” [laughter]
– For Channel 5 News, this is Dean Herbert.
– Thanks, Dean.
– You know, we have some pretty funny mugs here in the studio, too.
– We do, we really do.